Miss Beloit 2006, Sara Siekierski

Follow Sara on her journey as Miss Beloit 2006!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hi everyone!

I decided to take a break from my seemingly endless amounts of homework to write an update! I know I haven't updated since November, and I've been quite busy since then!

The holiday season was definitely my busiest time as Miss Beloit! In November I made an appearance at Beloit's Festival of Trees Breakfast with Santa. This appearance was definitely one of the most memorable! My mom and I decided it would be fun to have a Christmas sing-a-long during the breakfast. Throughout the morning, I sang various well-known Christmas songs and encouraged the audience to sing along! We even made up song books so everyone could follow along. The crowd kept switching throughout the morning, so there were always a bunch of new faces and new people to entertain! I had so many people telling me that I made their morning very enjoyable, and they loved listening to me sing and getting involved with the singing. There were tons of kids there that morning, so I had a lot of fans! :) I even had a couple of little girls following me around the crowd and helping me sing. They were so adorable! I also signed a lot of autographs and took pictures. The event was so much fun, and I'm so glad they asked me to be a part of it! At the end of November I rode in Beloit's Holiday Lighted Parade. Fortunately it wasn't TOO cold that night, and so many people came out to see the parade. I even had white Christmas lights strung around my crown. :)

In December I made a couple of appearances at Beloit's Holidazzle in downtown Beloit. I started off the evening by signing autographs and taking pictures at the Turtle Creek Bookstore. I had a lot of fun hanging out with Santa and Mrs. Clause! :) The people at the bookstore are always so wonderful to me, and I'm glad I was able to spend some time there! After my autograph signing, I went over to the restaurant that my Uncle Dave and Aunt Joan own, Bagels & More, to entertain the crowd with some music. For a couple of hours I sang a variety of Christmas songs and of course had another sing-a-long with the crowd. There was a couple sitting towards the front that absolutely made my night! They were wonderful singers and sang along with every song! The night was so much fun and the crowd really seemed to love it! I even had my cousins up towards the front singing along with me! ;) It was nice to FINALLY make an appearance at Bagels & More!

Near Christmas I had the opportunity to ring bells for the salvation army with a former Miss Beloit AND Miss Wisconsin, Stephanie Klett. We rang bells on a Friday night in front of Beloit's Wal-Mart. This wasn't just any ordinary bell ringing, though. Stephanie is the host of Discover Wisconsin, and the employees of Discover Media Works once again had a competition across the state to see who could raise the most money in two hours. Discover Media donated lots of prizes to those who donated money to the Salvation Army. The night was freezing, but Stephanie and I had so much fun and it was a great chance to catch up with her! I have no idea if we ended up winning, but I'm so glad I was able to be a part of something so wonderful!

I definitely kept busy in January over my winter break from school. In one week, I spoke at four meetings for different community organizations. I spoke to the Noon Kiwanis, Beloit Optimists, Evening Kiwanis, and Beloit Lionesses. Each organization made me feel so welcome, and I had a wonderful time speaking to all of them and meeting so many new people!

Making an appearance at Beloit's annual Winterfest Celebration was one of the major highlights of my year as Miss Beloit. Winterfest was held at the end of January. I was invited to emcee Friday's fashion show and talent showcase presented by Beloit Memorial High School's DECA club. They even let me get up and speak about my year as Miss Beloit and sing a song before the show got started. Emcee'ing the show was an absolute blast! My co-emcee, Jeremiah, has got to be one of the funniest and craziest people I've ever met! He was so great with the crowd and really got everyone pumped up! We had a ton of fun emcee'ing the show together. My absolute favorite part of the evening was being sung to by one of the talent show contestants, Demetrius. He had a gorgeous voice and I was so flattered that he sang to me! All of the contestants did a wonderful job and I enjoyed hearing all of their talents. Congratulations to DECA for putting on a wonderful show! :) You guys did a great job! I went to the children's carnival on Saturday morning to sign autographs and take pictures with many of the kids that came out. I got to sit with some of the kids from Rock County Youth 2 Youth, which was wonderful because I volunteer for that organization and it's a big part of my platform. I had so much fun meeting all of the kids that came out for the event.

Doing appearances like this just makes me realize how much of an impact I have on children. When you're in the position of being Miss Beloit, children really look up to you as a role model. Little girls always think I'm a princess, and while I'm actually not, I'm always in awe that they look up to me in that way. Little kids are always so excited to meet me and get my autograph or take a picture with me, and it's honestly so wonderful to know that through my title I am able to inspire these young children. That's why my platform is so important to me. In a position like this, I have the opportunity to be a role model, inspire children, and change lives. Being Miss Beloit is truly a powerful thing. It gives me the opportunity to spread my message and make a difference. I'm currently going to start working with Y2Y on another Teen Maze and spreading the message of not drinking and driving for prom season. I've also been invited to start working on my platform at the state level, and I am so excited about that! I may have the opportunity to press for legislation dealing with more programs for children and teens that deal with character education and good decision making.

As usual, my writing is getting a little long. I suppose that's the journalist in me. ;) As far as school is concerned, things are going pretty well. This semester has already been so busy! It seems this semester is even busier than last semester, if that's even possible. I just tried out for the news again this semester, so we'll see what position I end up with!

This Sunday is the first meeting with the contestants for the 2007 Miss Beloit Pageant. I can't believe that in just a few short days I will be meeting the young women who are vying for the title of Miss Beloit 2007. The whole thing seems so surreal. It seems like just yesterday I was a contestant sitting in that first meeting, so nervous and excited all at the same time. Now I'll be the one standing in front of the girls telling my story and how I can hardly believe that in just 6 short weeks I'll be passing on my title to one of them. I'm really excited to pass on this opportunity to another young woman, but at the same time it's incredibly sad that my year is almost over. I don't know where the time went. It seems the year just flew by! I suppose that's how it always is though. These 6 weeks are going to go by so quickly, and I'm going to be very busy with a lot of appearances. I want to make the most out of these last 6 weeks, just as I have done with my whole year.

Okay, I promise that's all I'm going to write for now. ;) I know my mom has posted pictures of some of my recent appearances on Webshots, but I don't think she's posted since December so I'll have to ask her to update with all of the pictures from Jan/Feb. Look for those coming soon, and I promise I'll blog again soon and keep you updated on all of the Miss Beloit 2007 happenings as well as my last 6 weeks of being Miss Beloit 2006.

Sara